i9Check Form I9 employment eligibility information   I-9 Information i9Check Services I-9 Form Download Demo Info Contact Us  

What is an EAD?

If a new hire is not a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident, he may need to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) (commonly referred to as “work permit”) to prove he may work in the United States.

The following discusses the different types of Employment Authorization Documents (EAD). Employers should recognize the available variety of EADs to avoid inadvertently refusing a valid employment authorization document.



Regular EAD: This document proves that the foreign employee is allowed to work in the United States.


Renewal EAD: This EAD demonstrates that the foreign employee has renewed work authorization. It should be applied for six months before the original EAD expires.


Replacement EAD: This document replaces a lost, stolen, or mutilated EAD. A replacement EAD may also be issued if the original contained incorrect information, such as a misspelled name.


Interim EAD: If the CIS does not approve or deny a foreign employee's EAD application within 90 days (within 30 days for an asylum applicant), the employee may request an interim EAD document which allow her to work for a limited period of time.  


For more information, please contact us


:: FREE I-9 ::

Sign up to receive the latest 
I-9 info and tips.
Click here to sign up.
What is an EAD?
EAD Eligibility
How to Apply
Copyright © 2004 All rights reserved.